When servicemen and women leave the armed forces, their healthcare is the responsibility of the NHS.

All veterans are entitled to priority access to NHS hospital care for any condition as long as it’s related to their service, regardless of whether or not they receive a war pension. The process is explained in Guidance for the referral of Armed Forces Veterans (PDF).

All people leaving the armed forces are given a summary of their medical records, which they are advised to give to their new GP when they register.

If you no longer have a copy of the summary of your health record you can apply for one via the Requests for personal data and service records page on GOV.UK.



Keep Safe Cymru for Veterans

Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children, Carl Sargeant AM launched the Keep Safe Cymru for Veterans scheme. Developed in collaboration between South Wales Police and 160 Brigade and Headquarters in Wales the scheme will help those who may need additional support from the Emergency Services in times of crisis. The Veteran would register their details with the police and should the need arise they would adapt their response appropriately. If you’d like further information please visit the South Wales police website.